Monday, September 12, 2005

Adventures in Gambling, Week Two

Week two of College Football has come and gone. Needless to say, there were more than a few upsets over the weekend. Kentucky managed to break their one game losing streak by (barely) defeating a team that the 1994 Powell County Pirates could have manhandled. I think Kevin said it best when he pointed out that, "this game has to really hurt Idaho State's strength of schedule."

Anyway, now onto my wins and losses for week two of the college game and week one of the pro game.

1. (20) Notre Dame V. (3) Michigan
Line: Michigan by 8
Pick: Notre Dame

After spanking Pittsburgh last week it seemed obvious, at least to me, that this game would be far closer than eight points. Notre Dame V. Michigan is one of college football's most storied rivalries, and as we all know, anything can happen in a game like that. Pair that with the soaring Irish enthusiasm and the always-likely-to-implode Wolverines, and you've got a ball game. Having said that, there was no way that I actually expected the Irish to win... just cover.

Final Score: Notre Dame 17 - Michigan 10

2. Tulsa V. (18) Oklahoma
Line: Oklahoma by 31
Pick: Oklahoma

What can I say, I expected the Sooners to come out and mangle Tulsa after being handed a humiliating defeat by TCU last week. Unfortunately, they decided against that. Granted, for me at least, betting on Oklahoma is kind of like telling a girl, "I bet you won't sleep with me," either way I win.

Final Score: Oklahoma 31 - Tulsa 15

3. Cincinnati Bengals V. Cleveland Browns
Line: Cincy by 3 (some say it went off at 4, but the paper said 3)
Pick: Cincinnati

The Bengals are going to be good this year. By good I mean that they'll probably make the playoffs, maybe win one game, maybe not. Of course, for Bengals fans, that's huge! The odds on this particular game were all over the place. At one point, odds makers had the Bengals as a 2.5 point favorite, which is what called my attention to the game in the first place. When it went off at three (or so I thought) I still felt pretty confident. Thanks Bengals, I hope you win every game this season... except for one.

Final Score: Cincy 27 - Cleveland 13

That concludes this week's installment of Adventures in Gambling. Last week left my yearly total at a whopping -2 dollars, but with a couple of wins this week I'm now up to a staggering SIXTEEN BUCKS!! Dinner's on me, folks!

3 Comments:

Blogger Tina said...

Is the spam thingy not working?

9:07 AM  
Blogger I changed my name so it wouldn't be so nasty! said...

My weekend - 1 win for $100 (Cincinnati) and 1 loss for $100 (Baltimore). Damn the juice. COnsidering Philly tonight... 3 feels awfully low.

Next weekend - Cincinnati -3 over Minnesota. Lock.

9:31 AM  
Blogger Cory said...

I haven't turned the spam thingy on, it seems like a hassle... besides, some of these are pretty funny.

10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home