Wednesday, December 27, 2006

I'm really hoping that you get the joke... otherwise I'm going to look like a real ass

As I'm sure you've heard, President Gerald Ford has passed on. I'd imagine that some of you are expecting something snarky here, as I've never been one to cry in my beer at the natural passing of former Republican Presidents... however, Ford is different. Sure, he made his mistakes (The Warren Commission, pardoning Nixon, underestimating gravity), but all-in-all Gerald Ford was a decent man who simply tried to make the best of an unfortunate situation.

Of course, at 93 years old his passing is hardly surprising news, but it still took me back a bit when I first heard the news this morning. Ford was a passable president, not great... sort of the Millard Fillmore of our day. But, his everyman aesthetic and the tireless efforts of his wife to combat substance abuse problems in our country are to be commended.

Rest in peace, big guy. They'll have plenty of nachos in heaven.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

In my best Brokaw voice: Reports say he was delicious...

4:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And at the senseless age of 93

7:43 AM  
Blogger Temporarily sane said...

Ahhh..good old SNL

11:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home