Thursday, September 15, 2005


Well, the Powell County Fair is upon us. There's something magical about this time of year, the leaves begin to turn, football kicks off, and the fair rolls into our town bringing funnel cakes, carnies, and a baby boom of teen pregnancy. It brings out the child in all of us, perhaps mostly because the children we now put on the Bullet or the Round Up are actually riding the same Bullet and/or Round Up that we were on 20 years ago... in fact, maybe you shouldn't put your child on that thing.

Recently, the Powell County Fair has added Papa John's Pizza to the list of healthy, nutritious snacks provided for young and old alike. I guess progress comes whether or not we want it, but what's so wrong with the traditional Lion's Club Fairburger? There was something nice about barking orders at Darryl Abner, Dr. Noss or Pete Thomas... well maybe not so much Pete, being that he actually does that for a living.

Oh well, my point of this post is to announce that I'll be signing off for the weekend a little early this time. One of the other time-honored traditions in Powell County is, of course, Fair Day. The one holiday per year that requires absolutely no decoration, celebration, remembrance, or mandatory backyard barbecues. The one holiday that we all (and by all I mean those employed by the government or school system) get to enjoy while our friends with jobs in other fields slave away. So, being that I punch out at noon, not to return until Monday, my blogging will be a little scarce in the coming days.

Thanks for reading and enjoy the Powell County Fair!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Brinton said...

You got spammed! I wonder if it's possible to automatically delete comments with the words, "I thought your blog was cool." I just wanted to point out that I work for the government, and I have to work tomorrow. Of course, I'll be working AT THE FAIR, so everyone stop in at the health department RV and say hello. I'll probably be outside until the heat bothers me more than the crowdedness.

6:08 AM  
Blogger Tina said...

I am one of the few that has a job in another field, imagine my excitement that beginning this week I will have two 3 day weekends.
Yes, I know you all got yours last week. But I hardly ever get to take off. So, excuse me while I go gloat around the office to all those who aren't off tomorrow.

7:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home