Friday, March 23, 2007

How quickly we forget...

What would you do if you had the chance to get behind a coach with a .760 winning percentage, ten consecutive NCAA Tournament appearances and five SEC Tournament victories? What if that coach also happened to be named NCAA Coach of the year twice in ten years, won a national championship and was ranked in the top ten six out of ten years? Even still, what if a coach with all of those accomplishments also happened to become one of only five coaches in history to win 365 games in fifteen years or less (with the others being insignificant guys like Roy Williams, Nolan Richardson, Denny Crum and Jim Boeheim)?

Well, if you were the University of Kentucky, you'd fire him... or should I say, "encourage him to pursue other options."

The University of Kentucky lost something truly special yesterday, as Orlando "Tubby" Smith hopped a plane and headed off to greener pastures in Minnesota. In a way, I'm happy to see the guy leave. He deserves considerably better than we gave him, and I'm fairly certain that he'll get just that at the helm of the Golden Gophers. He stepped into the shadows of one of the (if not THE) most popular coaches in the history of an organization as storied as the sport itself. He brought success, championships and most importantly, class to a program that all too often branded him failure.

Ask most Kentucky fans about Eddie Sutton and you'll likely get a shrug. He isn't necessarily remembered fondly, but despite never winning a title, coaching mediocre squads at best and plunging the program into a dark era of suspensions and shame, most Kentucky fans reserve the ire that should certainly be targeted his way for Tubby. You have to ask why?

Well, one obvious answer lies in the fact that Tubby had one characteristic that no other UK Coach has possessed... Tubby was black. Most people will be quick to tell you that their disdain for Smith had nothing whatsoever to do with his race, but rather the way he coached basketball. Fine, if you genuinely dislike the way Tubby coached his team, then you're certainly entitled to that opinion. However, watching game after game of Smith's tenure and hearing the phrase "Goddamned Nig**r Coach" not only from time to time but multiple times in each game, even when he was WINNING, tells a different story.

All this without pointing out that the man attempted to lead a team who's fans, spoiled and cranky, still idolize one of the game's most notorious racists, Adolph Rupp. One of the things I've always found most impressive about Smith was his character, something that he surely had in spades as he called home an arena named after a man that wouldn't have given him the time of day based solely on his skin color. To step out on the court of Rupp Arena each night and give a program, one that is actively turning its nose up into the air, everything you have night after night is not only indicative of the kind of man that Tubby Smith was, but the kind of person that we should all strive to be.

In the wake of his departure, names of his replacement are flying around like free samples in a taffy factory. We've all heard the list... names ranging from Tom Izzo to John Calipari, Tom Crean to Billy Donovan and my personal favorite duo, Travis Ford to Rick Pitino. Face it, Kentucky has painted itself into a corner previously only seen by the Oakland Raiders organization. Who would want to come here? Smith's statistics put him at the very top of the coaching talent in the NCAA, but despite that he just wasn't good enough to coach the Wildcats. With a fickle-at-best fan base, expectations that wouldn't have been satisfied by Phil Jackson's run in Chicago and a spineless athletic director Kentucky has hardly provided an inviting home to anyone brave enough to take the job.

Personally, I'd only be happy with three active NCAA coaches...

1. Bobby Knight: Why Knight? Well, aside from being arguably the greatest college basketball coach in history, he has the attitude to shrug off the endless stream of idiots calling in to the Joe B. & Denny Show or the Chris Cross Applesauce Hour (or whatever that dreadful excuse for dreadful radio happens to be). Knight would simply explain to the Big Blue Nation that he was the boss and if they didn't like it, they could politely kiss his ass... something Kentucky is in dire need of.

2. Bruce Pearl: Pearl has a habit of taking teams further than anyone could imagine and reigns over the court like a combination of General George S. Patton and, well, Tubby Smith. He's exciting, with a specific brand of basketball that is not only difficult to defend but hard to look away from. As far as attitude goes, see number 1 on this list.

3. Pokey Chatman: 90-14 as a head coach, two SEC titles and two Final Fours in three years. Chatman has proven herself to be one of the premiere women's coaches in America, and perhaps that bastion of diversity that is the University of Kentucky could break down some barriers. Come on guys, you know that you want to hire a woman... a lesbian... a black lesbian. Let's go ahead and finish off the last lingering pieces of Adolph Rupp by bringing in a black lesbian as our new head coach, after all, our dislike for Tubby had NOTHING to do with his race, right?

As far as new coaches go, unless one of those three makes the cut (and I assure you, they won't), I'll be tempted to cheer against Kentucky next season. Not because I don't love the team anymore, but because the Fairweather Johnsons of our state need a big taste of what life can be like in a post-Tubby era. However, there is one hire that would cause me to desert the C-A-T-S, CATS CATS CATS forever...

Rick Pitino.

I'm going on record right now. If you feel the need, save this text in a folder somewhere and feel free to hold me to it. If somehow, some way, Rick Pitino returns to the University of Kentucky I will not only cheer against them next year, but certainly for every year in which he is in charge... maybe forever. If Rick Pitino is allowed to skulk back into Lexington after flipping the bird to the city that made him a superstar ten years ago I'll be in search of a new favorite team, and I think I know who that team might be...

Write it down, folks. If Rick Pitino's Wildcats hit the court next year I will immediately rush out and buy caps, shirts, jerseys, shorts, and blankets bearing the logo of the Duke Blue Devils. Hell, I may even get a tattoo. I will officially have two new favorite college teams, Duke and whomever happens to be playing Kentucky.

I'm tired of living in the past. I'm tired of the fickle nature, jealousy, pettiness and subtle (and often blatant) bigotry associated with this program. If you need any evidence as to whether or not Kentucky loves a white boy more than life itself, if SOMEHOW you've missed out on this, let me remind you that in this state we still worship Richie Farmer, Travis Ford and to a lesser degree, Patrick Sparks. Ford wasn't bad, but judging by his NBA career, or should I say, lack thereof, he certainly wasn't the hero that he was made out to be. Patrick Sparks, a man that you could always count on to "take the shot" even if he was guarded by Manute Bol and standing in the locker room, should still makes you cringe. And as far as Richie Farmer goes... well, let me share two radio stories that explain exactly how Kentucky fans view this mediocre-at-best Wildcat legend.

Caller: Yeah, uh, I was just wonderin'... if you could pick between a team of FIVE Richie Farmers versus FIVE Michael Jordans, which one would you pick?

Host: Well, Richie was a great player, but I think I'd have to go with the Jordans.

Caller: See, I don't think so... you gotta remember, the five Richies would play as a team!

And then this story, from just yesterday that didn't even involve an idiotic caller, but rather people who are PAID by someone to share their opinions...

Host 1: Coming up later in the hour, we'll have Richie Farmer on here to talk Sweet Sixteen basketball and we'll get his thoughts on the departure of Tubby Smith.

Host 2: Richie didn't even play for Tubby, though.

Host 1: Yeah, but I'm sure he'll have some thoughts on the subject.

Host 2: We oughta ask Richie, would you rather be GOVERNOR or HEAD COACH of the CATS!?

You know what, you're right. Richie Farmer is a God among men. Richie Farmer is the most powerful force in human history. Hell with it, as far as I'm concerned, Lil' Richie should be both Governor AND Coach! He can do it all!

Tubby, believe it or not, many of us are really going to miss you. You gave us all you had and we threw it in your face. I sincerely apologize on behalf of so, so many of the slack-jawed yahoos of this state that would never and will never admit that having you around for the last ten years has been a wonderful blessing for the program. I wish you all the best in Minnesota, and I can assure you that I won't be the only resident of the Commonwealth cheering for the Gophers next year.

Thanks for everything, Tubb. You'll be missed.

11 Comments:

Blogger Derek said...

Cory, you can't dare say that Tubby Smith was disliked in progressive KY because he was black! Oh no no no, although it was probably along those lines, I'm more inclined to believe that it had something to do with his wife...you see..it seems that most people believed her to be a "N*gger lover"....see? that's totally different reason to hate The Tubby/Donna era. Or it could be that nobody was racist against Tubby, its more like the theory of "i'm not racist I have black friends" KY fans can say "we're not racist we had a black coach....but man did he make KY ball look bad with his colored ball"

I think the important thing to remember is the upcoming scuffle that will be going on between Pat Riley and Phil Jackson, we all know they're jumping at the bit to get to coach "The GREATEST Progam in college basketball"...Uk fans can fuck off.

8:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

(Blogger is giving me fits today)

Derek, you're the cutest "angry black man" I've ever seen.

Cory, you know this will be the opinion survey in the Clay City Times this week. I can see it now.

"Who do you think UK will get to replace Tubby Smith?"

Karen: "Tubby who?"
Brinton: "Bobby Knight"
Tina: "Gatewood Galbraith"
Sarah: "James Clark"
Cory: "Harold Hurst. But if he can't do his job, maybe we need to find someone who will."

-- Sarah

11:02 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I just hope Tubby's family sees this. They need to know that many, MANY people have their backs 100 percent.

6:14 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sorry I don't agree with your claim. While indeed there are some racist UK fans, the large majority supported Smith and wanted him to succeed. I have to go back to the poll a few years ago which showed an overwhelmingly positive view of Coach Smith in the Commonwealth.

Smith's failure was not being somehow held back because he was black. His failure was in recruiting and maintaining a program at the level that most UK fans (rightly or wrongly) have come to expect and demand from their coaches.

I think that even given the decline of the program over the last few years, most UK fans still hold Coach Smith in high regard, even if they have come to think that he is not the best coach for UK going forward.

You say that nearly every game you hear people saying "Goddamned Nig**er Coach". I have to question what kind of company you keep ? I also have to question what, if anything, you've done in response ? Have you told them off ? Have you at least told them you don't want to hear these things etc. Sounds like you've said nothing, which only gives legitimacy to such morons. Maybe you should be blaming yourself for helping to keep such ignorance alive.

I know a lot of UK fans and I've never heard such a thing. But again, I don't associate with racists and if I came into contact with one, would let them know I don't approve of what they say.

As far as Eddie Sutton, I think the shrugs you might see are more due to the fact that his era is nearly 20 years ago. That and his fall was much faster and complete than Tubby's. Under Sutton, UK was underachieving but was pulling in top talent. With the scandal, the program quickly went into a nosedive and Sutton was out soon enough (even though there were many who wanted him gone immediately). The dislike for Sutton was intense, for anyone who was around during that time.

Coach Smith is a different situation. His fall from grace was much more protracted. Despite this, I believe that most UK fans still supported him, and at the very least most UK fans appreciated him as a person and recognized the class he brought to the position. Truthfully, I believe Smith recognized that although the administration and most fans were willing to give him another year to turn things around, he would have been in much worse shape next year than this year. (with Morris leaving for the pros a near certainty, a less than stellar recruiting class, etc.)

Eddie Sutton is looked at as a villian (or at least as someone who completely lost control of the program and himself) at UK. That feeling remains, and will continue to remain for a long time. I don't think UK fans look at Coach Smith in that way at all. I think that he will be viewed fondly (at least on a personal level) by most every UK fan in the coming decades.

You can try to blame this on race if you want, but I don't see anything that held Tubby back in terms of succeeding at UK, other than his own mistakes (ie his lack of organization, his lack of enthusiasm in recruiting, his insistence on using underachieving assistant coaches etc.)

Tubby was a very good coach, and he was given tremendous resources at UK. He was successful by most measures, but to anyone who followed the program closely, it was clear that he was not achieving at the levels that was attainable, or expected. (ie being able to sign highly ranked players, staying in the top 25, etc.) I don't know that there was anything (ie in terms of compensation, fan support, facilities etc.) that was not provided to Tubby because of his skin color, and I challenge you to provide an example of a single one.

Jon

PS, as far as your comments about Rupp, it's interesting to me how such a 'notorious racist' as you claim came to do so many positive things for blacks, to go along with the lack of reputable evidence demonstrating him to be a racist (ie things he said or did).

I'd appreciate if you read my article on this topic and explain to me why you hold the beliefs you do, in light of all the facts.

Rupp Page

12:37 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Rick Pitino began coaching at UK in 1989, and if my math serves me well, that's 18 years ago, which is very close to 20.

how is it that 20 years as lessened people's memories of sutton yet UK fans are STILL completely enamored with Pitino? i don't understand your logic on that one, jon...

6:43 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Kevin, I didn't make an argument about Pitino. Maybe that's why you didn't understand it ?

But since you bring it up, I guess I will address it. For one, there's a lot of people who don't want anything to do with Pitino, especially after he went to Louisville, but even before that.

Are there UK fans who are still enamored with him ? I'm sure there are. Why ? It's pretty obvious, he brought the program back from the depths of probation, took them to the top of the college basketball world, won a title etc. etc. When he left, he left a program that was in great shape.

You mention him becoming coach in 1989, but he stayed until 1997. When UK fans who like Pitino are reminiscing about him, they don't have to think back all the way to 1989. Don't be so dense.

Also, I don't think it's proper to compare Sutton's leaving as compared to Pitino's. Sutton left the program shattered and under a cloud of suspicion which took years to dig out from. Pitino, on the other hand, left the program in great shape.

If it's true that all people do when they hear Sutton's name is shrug their shoulders (which I personally don't believe), then as I mentioned it may have been due to the fact that it was nearly 20 years ago. Maybe it's also because people don't see a point in reliving the whole time period, or maybe they've come to feel some sympathy for Eddie, given his personal issues over the years. I don't know.

What I do know is that Sutton's leaving was accompanied by much more animosity and hurt feelings than Tubby Smith's (or Rick Pitino's for that matter) leaving will ever do. Of course no one wanted Sutton to stay at UK, which is completely different than the Pitino (where most wanted him to stay) and Smith (where the fanbase was largely divided) situations.

FWIW, I think these constant attempts to inject race into anything and everything is getting tiresome and ridiculous.

EVERY coach at UK has endured severe scrutiny and criticism over the years, even Rupp. It's part of the job, and will continue to be for future coaches, regardless of what color they are.

Jon

8:47 PM  
Blogger Cory said...

Jon.

I don't know who you are, but I appreciate you taking such an interest in my blog. As far as the horrible, racist company that I keep, I'll be the first to admit that I have racist friends. It's a negative character trait, but I try not to throw the baby out with the bath water. I'm quite certain that you also have racist friends, despite how they appear. Racism is ugly and inexcusable, but I'd much rather know where someone stands from the word go than watch them put on the multicultural parade in public while living a very different private life.

Hearing racial slurs directed at Smith is just part of watching basketball in Lexington. I'm not sure if you're a regular in Lex-Vegas sports bars, but I assure you that if you attend the games at any of them and still claim to have never heard that phrase then you're either lying or deaf. Try as I may, I can't convince Trumps to let me work the door, keeping jackasses on the outside.

What bothers me about your comments is this knee-jerk reaction to what I've said. I made a very sensible argument in favor of a man that despite his best efforts was never appreciated in Kentucky. Surely you can't deny that. Saying that racism doesn't exist in this state or that he was never a target of such is shockingly ignorant, and at best incredibly naive.

I appreciate your passion and accept your opinion, however, the tone of your responses is lacking. In the future, let's try to have an intelligent debate without being snarky at every turn... it doesn't get anyone anywhere.

6:20 AM  
Blogger Brinton said...

I found Jon's comments to be somewhat judgmental, but not at all snarky, at least not until his response to Kevin's reaction. He made one point very clearly. UK has not consistently stayed in the Top 25. For those of us who are well aware that UK went twenty years and then eighteen years between championships, a down cycle doesn't seem like that big a deal. There is, however, that uncomfortable feeling in the back of our minds, and Jon finally makes it clear what it is, that if UK doesn't consistently stay in the top 25, then it could be a very long time indeed before UK rises back to the top of the NCAA Men's Basketball world. I don't think I expect UK to win the national championship every year, but I'd like to see them stay in the top 25, and maybe even crack the top ten once or twice EVERY year.

6:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cory,

Regarding racial slurs etc. Again, I've never heard them directed at Tubby. Granted I don't live in Kentucky and don't go to sports bars in Kentucky so maybe that plays a big role. When I am fortunate enough to attend a game, it's not very often and rarely in Rupp. Most times I get to see UK it's in Atlanta during the SEC touranment, or perhaps an NCAA tournament game (like I was able to attend last year in Philadelphia).

As far as interacting with people who are racist, again I don't knowingly associate with such people, although as you mention it's nearly impossible to know for sure given how people may act on the outside. When such exposure does happen, I at least let them know I don't approve of what they say. Anything less is a failure on my part. If they continued to do that in my presence, then I obviously haven't done enough.

I have known quite a number of UK fans through the years, many through the internet and it's the same way. The people I do associate with on the internet do not make racist statements and I don't think are motivated by such ignorance. There are some UK discussion groups out there on the internet who if not directly support, at least condone people with racist views. Again, I don't participate or interact with those people.

Regarding my reaction, it's not 'knee-jerk' in any way. You say you put forth a sensible argument in favor of the man, suggesting that race was a significant factor in his demise at UK. I disagree, and think my argument is just as well thought out and sensible (if not moreso ;-) ). (And FWIW, I don't disagree about Smith being a good, decent person. I believe he is)

What I counter with is that Tubby should be judged on how well he's coached and led the program. That's what he gets paid for afterall, not simply being a nice guy. Again, when you look at the details and the current direction of the program, it's clear that UK was underachieving and was not heading in an upward direction, and IMO Tubby is largely responsible for this. Despite this, I along with most fans and the UK administration was indeed willing to give Tubby at least one more year to turn things around. But I think Tubby himself recognized that the program is in such a hole right now (with players leaving, a lot of question marks about the abilities of current players, uncertainty if any top recruits will sign etc.) that he recognized that a clean break was best for all concerned. I don't have a problem with this, and if anything thank Tubby for making the decision because next year will indeed be ugly (no matter who is coach).

And FWIW, I never said that 'racism doesn't exist in this state' as you claim. All I said was that I personally have never heard such comments from the people that I associate with. I also said that I think by-in-large, most people in the state supported Smith and appreciated his integrity, class etc. I completely disagree with your comment that Tubby was 'never appreciated' in Kentucky. I and most everyone I know appreciates Tubby on some level. But again, there's a separation between appreciating someone on a personal level and appreciating him for the way he coached, or more pertinently how he ran the program. (Most people I know did and still do appreciate him on a personal level, but more and more have lost their support for him over the years as UK's coach and administrator.)

I don't dispute that some people have held negative views of Tubby etc. because of his race. I'm sure it happens all the time among some (although I still believe it is a relatively small minority of UK fans). What I do dispute is that this had any relevant effect on Tubby's ability to lead the program, recruit the players he wanted, or coach his team. Again, I don't see any clear example where Tubby was somehow hindered from doing his job because of this, and I invite you to provide one.

I'm glad you're looking for an intelligent debate on this topic. I'm sorry if you find my responses 'snarky' or my tone 'lacking'. I will try to do better.

Jon

PS, sorry if you don't know who I am. I kind of assumed most any UK fan on the internet is at least aware of my web page.

9:19 AM  
Blogger Cory said...

I do appreciate your comments. It's nice to have an open conversation with someone that shows an ability to string coherent sentences together.

I certainly appreciate differing opinions, and as I said in my post if people take issue with Tubby as a coach, that's one thing. Most of my wrath was targeted at the individuals that choose to blast Smith with racial slurs.

Lexington is considerably more backward socially than anyone in the city would care to admit. It touts itself as a progressive center of the state, and in many ways it actually is. However, there is still a great deal of "bumpkin" in the city and it managed to shine through regularly during Smith's tenure at UK.

I agree that his departure was the best thing for all parties. I hate that he will be remembered not for his successes but rather his failures. Every organization is going to have a down year or two. North Carolina went through it a few years ago, Duke is going through it right now... and let's not even discuss poor ol' Michigan.

I just believe that Tubby could have been another Kentucky legend, had he been given the time to do so. Rebuilding from a slump takes time and I worry that we've thrown away what could have been for what we want right now.

10:17 AM  
Blogger Temporarily sane said...

Alright, time to throw in my two cents.

I am glad to see Tubby leave. And now I shall tell you.
1. He has, to me anyways, have gone on to greener pastures.
You have got to stop and think for a minute. Kentucky does not have any professional sports within the state. The closest that we come to a professional team is the Lexington Legends. In Minnesota, they have 3 professional teams. "So, what are you getting at Warren?" Hang on, here's my point. In Minnesota, I would say they watch college basketball as a pasttime and for fun. It's not all about winning because they have their choice sport to yell at. The UK fans only have basketball. Let's face it, UK football blows and the fans know it. There is no national championship in the next few years for football. And you really have to enjoy baseball to watch it. Which I do and they have done well in the past couple of years. At any rate, UK fans have basically only basketball and put alot of pressure on their coach and players. And I would say that there isn't that pressure at Minnesota as in Kentucky. So, if he does basically exactly what he done in Minnesota, then he will be loved.

2. Saul Smith.
Tubby angered me greatly by shoving Saul Smith down our throats those so many years ago. Why couldn't we get GG. Now, I wouldn't have thrown a pitch fit if he brought his other son with him. I know that GG wanted to finish school at Geogia. And that is understandable, but damnit you are supposed to honor your father and mother. Get your kiester to UK and play for your dad. And keep Saul on the bench.

3. Randolf Morris situation and Patrick Sparks.
I lost alot of respect for Tubby went Morris basically gave Tubby the finger and left for the pros. And you can't tell me Morris didn't slap Tubby in the face when he done that. Morris didn't take the advice of Tubby who has connections with the NBA. Didn't take the advice who has been coaching for years and years. Morris just ignored all of that because he thought he was that damn good and left for the "millions" the pros had to offer him. Much to Morris' surprise, the pros didn't really want him. So, he comes crawling back to Tubby. Now, this is what makes me mad. If I had been the coach, I would have tried to find someone to replace Morris. He's gone to the pros so I need a spot filled. The best I would have done for Morris was to find another college for him to play at. His career at UK would have been finished. But no, Tubby takes him back. And you know he had to pull major strings to get Morris back in to the NCAA. So, Morris slapped Tubby in the face and didn't get punished for it. Nice. Which leads me into Sparks. I will be the first to say that he was overrated and I didn't like him at all. Especially when the cocky butthole shot a 3 at the K at half court during a game turning situation. He made it but I would have sat his butt down on the bench and wouldn't let him back in until he learned to play with the team instead of being a showboat that will shoot the ball anywhere.

4. I just wanted to get this one in. I am not a racist, I hate everyone equally.

That is the end of my rambling. You may now go back to your regularly schedule program.

7:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home