Monday, April 16, 2007

So, here’s a question:

How early in a band’s career is it acceptable to start placing them among the greatest of all time? For those folks that take music very seriously, talking about the best ever is a pretty touchy matter. Including bands that haven’t yet proven themselves is as dangerous of territory as omitting bands that may have changed the face of modern music (which is why my relative distaste for both Led Zeppelin and The Beatles often gets me into trouble).

Of course, I’m not talking about music in general. I’m not bumping Beethoven or Bach out of any top ten lists. I’m talking about music that’s actually GOOD… pop music. Feel free to lob tomatoes my way, but I’d rather listen to Paul’s Boutique than some classical masterpiece… and so would you, admit it. As much fun as a night in the park with the Boston Pops may be, it’s no substitute for shakin’ your booty… it’s just not.

So, with that in mind, we have to look at some of the acts that are established, top 20 bands of all time material. Acts that, whether you love them or hate them, it’s nearly impossible to compile any sort of realistic list without including. I don’t like several of these bands, but I’m also not going to deny their impact on the world of music. Frankly, I don’t think much of Joe Montana, but I’m not going to talk about the best NFL Quarterbacks without mentioning his name.

So, first and foremost you’ve got The Beatles. From there you’re forced to bring up The Rolling Stones, The Who, The Beach Boys, Led Zeppelin and (as much as it makes me want to light a cigarette with a shotgun) Nirvana. However, once you’ve dropped those names the list tends to dissolve into an argument, full to the brim with your Radioheads, Velvet Undergrounds, Public Enemies and to a lesser degree, your Motorheads.

Best bands ever are as different as they are plentiful, but much like darling little snowflakes, no two are exactly the same. I’m sure that if enough research was done, we’d find more than two that were exactly the same, but I’m also sure that if we actually collected every snowflake in history we’d find a couple of twins as well (thanks Lewis Black). Well thought out lists aren’t just mash-ups of popular and influential bands, but rather bands that really affected music in general and shaped the type of music that you enjoy on a personal level.

For example, any list that I make is going to include Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band. The Boss single handedly attempted to keep rock & roll alive in a decade so dreadfully obsessed with generic synth and brightly colored hair that it made a Sasha and John Digiweed show look like turn of the century mining camp. I enjoy songs about working people, real life and struggle built on the ideas of redemption and hope… so naturally, I have Springsteen to thank for influencing a generation or two and keeping that flickering flame alive.

On the flip-side, I couldn’t care less about Yellow Submarines or Hey, Hey Mammas, so you’ll never find The Beatles or Led Zeppelin on one of my lists. Now, before you say it, I already know what’s coming. “B… B… But Cory, The Beatles and Led Zeppelin influenced the bands that you have on your list. Without those guys, you’d never have some of your favorite bands!” You’re right! Come by the house one day and I’ll give you a prize! To those bands, thanks; I’m very grateful to you for helping shape the music that I love. But if we’re all going to go back to the roots of the music that we hold so dear, then I fully expect to hear people regularly name-dropping Native-American tribal chants, the aforementioned Beethoven and the guy that invented the guitar… because without those guys, we’d never have music at all.

Anyway, I’m rambling. After all of that gas-baggery, we’ll go back to the original question. How soon is too soon to suggest that a band deserves a place among the greatest artists in history?

To put it bluntly, is The Arcade Fire one of the best bands to ever step on a stage?

We’re talking about a band with two albums and an EP. We’re talking about a band that, this time two years ago, was relatively unknown… we’re also talking about a band that since then has opened for U2, headlined festivals across the world, scored a #2 spot on the Billboard Chart (what!?) and a band that sold out three shows in Chicago in less than 30 minutes. We’re talking about a band that is regularly considered to be the best in the world, a band that’s admirers span all walks of life, and incidentally include Lou Reed, David Bowie, Bono, every rock critic in the world and probably Jesus. Granted, that last one really isn’t fair, as Jesus loves us all… except for maybe Stryper.

It still doesn’t seem right to raise someone so new to such a level, to include a relatively untested band in an arena of legitimate rock gladiators. But, let’s really think about this. Most people would feel relatively comfortable including both The Velvet Underground and The Sex Pistols on a “best ever” list. However, it should be pointed out that The Sex Pistols make it in on the strength of only one album, and The Velvets on five (but, c’mon, really, it’s just two). Based on that precedent, The Arcade Fire are a perfectly comfortable pick.



I dunno… it’s certainly something to wrestle with. Not just because a band has come around to challenge music in just a couple of short years, but because music should always be challenged and those that do deserve some kind of reward. I guess you should ask yourself, if every member of The Arcade Fire were simultaneously gunned down tomorrow, would they rocket to legendary status immediately? If so, then surely they already belonged there… after all, death doesn’t improve the music, does it?

And now, just because I’m arrogant enough to think that you’d actually care… my top 20 bands (or artists) of all time, in no particular order.

Note: The list is in no particular order because it may be completely different tomorrow, and when I narrow the list to 20, they’re really all my “favorite band,” depending on how many beers I’ve had and what mood I’m in.

The Beach Boys

Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band

The Smiths

Loretta Lynn

The Wu-Tang Clan (I know it’s a cop-out, but it’s a clever way to include about 5,000 people)

The Velvet Underground

The Arcade Fire

Oasis

The Sex Pistols

Tom Waits

The Pogues

NWA (thanks again, hip-hop supergroups!)

Guns N’ Roses

Paul Simon

The New York Dolls

Notorious BIG

Prince

REM

The Hold Steady

The Grateful Dead

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home