Monday, October 31, 2005

I'm sorry if you expected a beautiful explanation of how wonderful life must be in California. Unfortunately, the time that I've spent in this paradise has made me realize how proud I am of where I come from. In case you don't know, my bread has been buttered with coal money throughout my life and I couldn't possibly be more proud.


Those men, those proud men stood before me. They guaranteed jobs for my Grandfather, they gave life to my Father and Mother. They created me. I realize while I travel that despite my inherrent desire to be a proud member of the New York or Los Angeles Society, I'm just a coal miner's son. And at the end of the day, I couldn't be happier.


It's this society that makes me who I am. It's this that shaped me into the man that I am. I'm sorry, but I have to say that I'm proud of my Father, I'm proud of my Mother, but most of all, I'm proud of my Granparents. If you're willing to accept the idea that people faught the second world war while simultaneously sacrificing everything that they had (all of which was owed to the Company Store), then you can understand my family.

Essentially, I had to travel 2, 300 miles to really appreciate where I come from. I won't even pretend that I didn't tear up when it came to me, and laugh if you will. I finally get it, and I am thankful... no, wait, I am proud.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Cory, it's so true. I love travelling and yet my favorite part of travelling is coming home, feeling so balanced and lucky to have a space in this world called Kentucky. My roots are not deep there, ancestrally, but my heart is wholly there and I can't wait to come home.

8:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home