Saturday, March 04, 2006

A few words about Dave Chappelle's Block Party.


First, let me say that Dave Chappelle's Block Party is not only a near shoo-in for my favorite film of 2006, but upon further viewing may find it's way into my all time favorite films list. Be warned, it's not for everyone. Viewers would be advised not to go into the film expecting non-stop comedy and booty-shakin' jams. It's funny, it's most certainly funny, but that isn't the point of Block Party. The comedic moments of the film are organic, no skits, no pre-planned routines, just the natural brilliance of Dave Chappelle himself.

The music is second to none. Most listeners of strictly mainstream hip-hop may be lost on the names of the artists, however, Chappelle has gathered together some of the most amazing talent ever assembled on film. Performances by The Roots, Talib Kweli, Common, Mos Def, Jill Scott, Erykah Badu, Dead Prez, Kanye West and the miraculously re-formed Fugees bring an intensity and an urgency to the film that you're not likely to see in another 2006 release.

Please, please watch this spectacular film. It gives you a glimpse into a few blocks in Brooklyn that really have changed the world. The blocks that brought you Biggie, Jay-Z, Mos Def, Junior MAFIA, and of course the incomparable Big Daddy Kane.

----NOW ONTO THE REAL STORY----

Dave Chappelle's Block Party is largely a film about culture, race and acceptance in this modern world. How fortunate was I to have a living example of EXACTLY what the film talks about in my very own theater? As I arrived to the 10:10 showing at Regal Cinema in Lexington, KY I noticed a rater unusual sight... two uniformed police officers standing at the ticket taker's stand. I didn't think much of it, handed over my stub and walked into the rather empty theater.

As the minutes passed, the theater eventually filled with an ethnically diverse crowd, laughing and waiting for the opening titles to arrive. The theater darkens, the crowd settles in, and... what the hell... the police arrive.

To put this as plainly as I can, I watched Dave Chappelle's Block Party with two of Lexington's Finest standing over my shoulder. I've seen hundreds of movies in my life, in hundreds of theaters (including dozens at this particular theater) but I have never in my life seen such outright disrespect for an audience. And as if it wasn't enough of a slap on the face to bring security in for this specific film, the officers didn't even have the courtesy to silence their radios. So, as you're enjoying the film that you paid an outrageous price to see, police band radios are barking in the background.

I'm not one to throw out the word "racism" all that often, for me the race card usually stays in the deck (which is fairly easy to do being that I'm a white guy). But there is absolutely no other explanation. Regal Theaters clearly decided that the late showing of this movie could lead to trouble, so they brought in MEN WITH GUNS.

I WATCHED A MOVIE WHILE MEN WITH GUNS WERE WATCHING ME!

Now, I can't force you to boycott Regal, but wrong is wrong. I can assure you that after this form of treatment and this level of disrespect I will not be attending another film in that theater. I ask any of you that find this as upsetting as I do to take a couple of seconds to click on this link and tell Regal that you don't appreciate this type of behavior.

Thank you for reading, and if you're sending comments to the theater then thank you even more.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It just HAS to be something other than fear of an unruly crowd. A bomb threat, terr'ists, something. But I can't think of any reason why there would be just two cops in ONE movie for the entire duration of the movie other than crowd-control. Very enraging.

6:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm also angry over the fact that they still do not have the Cinnabon pretzels that are advertised in the lobby.

7:06 AM  
Blogger Cory said...

That's Kevin for ya, civil rights hero the likes of which we've never seen.

7:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I said "also."

8:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home