Monday, March 13, 2006

I'll come with the obligatory NCAA Tournament post momentarily, but first a few insights into insomnia. Lately I've found myself having a little trouble sleeping. It's certainly not reaching crisis level just yet, so I'm enjoying being treated to the kind of television entertainment that you only see between the hours of 3-5 AM.

For example, sometime around 3:30 this morning one of the music video channels dusted off Ice Cube's "It Was A Good Day." Great song that inspired me to dig the album out of my personal vault and get my gangsta on while driving to work. Of course, for me getting my gangsta on isn't really that different from getting my anything else on. I'd forgotten good that album (The Predator) really is, and also how angry it is from start to finish. Ice Cube takes the lives of more white people on that record than WWII... which is fine really, because most of the white people in question weren't offering up much to society anyway (would anyone miss Darryl Gates?).

Around 4:00 AM I managed to catch some footage of Ohio State University's wrestling champion taking on a black bear in a no-holds barred match in Cleveland. From the look of the crowd he was surrounded by several hundred cheering fans, whether they were cheering for Mr. Wrestler or the bear was hard to tell. Of course, PETA came to the rescue, charging that this type of event was humiliating for the bear. Let me tell you something, if you're one of several hundred people watching a man wrestle a bear in the middle of the afternoon in Cleveland, the bear should be the only person in the room that ISN'T humiliated.

As a side note, I'd recommend NOT doing a Google Image Search for "bear wrestling," as the term "bear wrestling" apparently has a very specific meaning in the gay community.

Finally, what evening/early morning spent in front of the television would be complete without an ad for the Girls Gone Wild video series? Unfortunately, I've noticed a shocking new trend with this particular piece of American Culture... ringers! These modern GGW videos are taking what appear to be strippers and sending them on wacky (and very bouncy) adventures. Now, I guess the case that these particular drunk girls fighting for attention are as good as any others, and I can see that. However, GGW is like the Olympics of drunk girls fighting for attention. They start at the amateur level in high school, then move up a level to frat parties and Kid Rock concerts, then the chosen few reach that pinnacle of attention-whoring... A Girls Gone Wild Video. If you ask me, letting professionals in just cheapens the sport for us all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home