Monday, September 26, 2005

First of all, congratulations to the Cincinnati Bengals for yet another impressive victory! Granted, a win over the Bears these days really isn't all that spectacular, but to do it with 5 interceptions and to look that good on the field is always impressive. As predicted, Cincy appears to be the real deal this year and keep in mind, the last time that the Bengals opened the season 3-0 they were Superbowl bound!

The Patriots beat the Steelers with a last second field goal. Why does the NFL make such a big deal out of the last second field goal? Seriously, there is no more boring end to an exciting football game than the field goal. Where's the drama? The ball is snapped, caught, and kicked from a maximum of fifty-five or so yards by a guy that you've paid no attention to all season. The only moment when the last second field goal even remotely becomes exciting is when the kicker misses the damn thing, and that's such a rarity that it only seems to happen when I'm at home playing Madden '06 with my 7-inch lineman!

But, I guess the real comment here is that the Steelers and Patriots went face to face last night and no major injuries came from the contest... damn, I need to find a new Voodoo Priest.

I don't say this about many people, but I really want to be Matt Leinart. Normally I'm the first guy to jump on the bandwagon and hate someone like this, but I just have to hand it to the guy. He's the best college football player in history, could very well carry that type of accolade in the pro game, and despite the fact that he's one of the biggest stars in the United States seems remarkably humble.

On an unrelated note, I really, really hate the new Nissan commercials that feature that old Civ song "Can't Wait One Minute More." I hate them more than the Steelers. I hate them more than the Patriots. I hate them more than Chad Johnson's platinum teeth... ok, I don't hate them more than that.

I don't know if you guys remember this song, but it was released around 1995 on the album "Set Your Goals" for Lava Records (I can't possibly explain why I remember that). It was a very minor hit, I don't even know if I'd call it a hit... it was on MTV. I liked the song, bought the record, and then as most sensible people do, I forgot all about the song.

I'll admit that I smiled when I heard the song on the commercial, but after hearing the damn thing over and over and over I now realize that Nissan has made me not only dread hearing a song that I once loved, but they have now permanently associated a great song with a red racing stripe and cheap Japanese cars. Thanks Nissan. I can't help but wonder how they even came across the song. Who in the ad department said, "hey, remember that song?" I can assure you that he was greeted with blank stares.

I only hope that Nissan hasn't started a trend here. Can you imagine an advertising blitz of company after company resurrecting songs from the 90's that nearly everyone has forgotten about? What comes next? Uncle Tupelo for Zoloft? Crash Test Dummies for Campbell's Soup? Primitive Radio Gods for Nokia? Positive K for Eharmony.com?

The end is near, folks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home