Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Hail, Hail, Rock N' Roll.

I'd just like to point out that I've heard more great music this year than I have in ages.

I've spent the last five or so years complaining that everything was terrible, and that Radiohead had become some sort of Gods only because everything around them was so dreadful. Granted, I think Radiohead's recent stuff is crap. And to beat you to the punch, this isn't some sort of "I'll say I hate them to be different" kind of thing, I really don't like the music. I also really do believe that they've become legends simply because there's absolutely nothing interesting going on in music to rival them... because love 'em or hate 'em, Radiohead can make an "interesting" album.

That is, until this year.

2005 has managed to produce some of the most riveting and interesting music that I've heard in years. It seemed to start in late 2004 when (yes, I know some of these are older, I'm behind) I first was turned on to bands like Animal Collective, The Arcade Fire, and so on and so forth. I was given a glimpse of a future of music that could actually give me the chance to say, "wow, a few quality records will be released when I'm in my mid 20's!" However, I wasn't prepared for this year, when I've heard some of the best stuff I've been treated to in ages. So, I figured I'd use my blog for exactly what a blog is for, and share some of my favorites with you guys. If I haven't already burned these records out on you, check them out when you get the chance!

Bright Eyes - "I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning"
The Decemberists - "Picaresque"
The Hold Steady - "Separation Sunday"
Art Brut - "Bang, Bang, Rock and Roll"
Sufjan Stevens - "Illinoise"
Serena Maneesh - "S/T"
Animal Collective - "Feels"

Side note: Yes, I know that I've included links to the reviews from the dreaded Pitchfork Media website. What can I say, they're the only people reviewing this stuff. If someone else would like to do it I'd be happy to visit them instead.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home