Wednesday, November 02, 2005


It must be great to support a BCS friendly, nationally adored football program. As I look at the top 25 college football rankings, I'm left to question exactly what the hell is going on? Now, this is of course nothing new, but that doesn't mean that it's justified. This year, like every year, perennial favorites and big-time jersey/sweatshirt/cap sellers make up the top 25 while schools without billion dollar booster clubs languish in obscurity, or in the case of my beloved Mountaineers, get half of the respect that they deserve.

And now, for my 1-2-3 punch of complaints.

Miami Hurricanes. It's no secret that I can't stand the Canes, but even looking at it from an impartial perspective, their number five ranking seems positively absurd. Miami was beaten by the best team they faced this year (the now #14 Seminoles) and barely squeaked out a victory over #20 Clemson. Other than that, let's look at the powerhouse squads they've faced: South Florida, Duke, North Carolina, TEMPLE! Luckilly, they'll be exposed for the frauds that they are on Saturday when they're gutted and hung up to dry by Virginia Tech.

Texas Tech. Ok, I realize that they're not really the perennial favorites that I'd mentioned before, but I'm still pissed. Why? Well, sports writers love it when the Big 12 is a powerhouse. Since it's a complete embarrassment this year they've been forced to come up with SOMEONE to feign interest in other than Texas. The traditional Nebraska, Oklahoma, OK State and A&M squads are simply laughable, so let's all kneel down in front of the Red Raiders... after all, they did beat the likes of Sam Houston and Indiana State.

Michigan. What does a team have to do to drop out of the top 25? The loss to Notre Dame is one thing, but following it up with dual 23-20 games against Wisconsin and Minnesota? Just more Big Ten pandering folks, and besides, if they're unranked what will Chad do with all of that Wolverine apparel?

So that's my daily ranting and raving, and let me beat you to the punch on what would be obvious comments.

Cory, West Virginia has only beaten one ranked team and they're on the top 25 bubble every week!

Well, at the time they weren't. Besides, when you're West Virginia nearly every road game is a war. Just look at any copy of EA Sports College Football 2005, damn near every game is a "Rivalry Game." On top of that, the same can be said for Miami.

Cory, the Big East is weak this year, couldn't that account for some of their success?

Sure, there's logic there. But those teams are getting better every day. In the coming seasons I'll be proven right.

Cory, how will you feel when Pitt comes to Morgantown and beats up on the Mountaineers?

I'll personally kick myself in the crotch if that happens.

1 Comments:

Blogger Cory said...

Before anyone asks, yes, I enjoyed my rather large plate of crow.

6:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home