Thursday, May 04, 2006

For those of you that are unaware, I've spent the last three or four days in a state of complete and total disarray. My apartment has been turned upside down and completely renovated from floor to ceiling. And, like a phoenix from the ashes, 55 8th Ave. has been born again. Now, if I can just keep my evangelical apartment from going pro-life and voting republican I'll be in great shape.

The walls, once stained with a mixture of nicotine, blood and tears have now been covered over, the carpet, once home to more than one hundred individual feet at a time has been cleaned, and most amazing of all the Dead Lizard... my soldier of a bar, is no more. In their place you will find new furniture, open space, and my personal favorite... (drumroll)... the polka dot wall. Trust me on this one, it's cool. Long gone are the days of monumental house parties, cake fights and Yosh's bed (I particularly miss that one). It's a new era on 8th Avenue, feel free to come by anytime and check out the new digs.

Thanks to Tina for reminding me that the above show existed.

On an unrelated note, I'd like to talk about the prom for a second. Now, I know that being almost 27 years old, the prom probably shouldn't be on my mind. However, I drive by the high school every day on my way to work, so this time of year I get to think of the prom at least twice a day. I don't know what this year's prom theme was, but I'm taking a guess that it may have had something to do with Paris. I'm making this educated guess based on what appears to be a replica of the Eiffel Tower that sits on the Powell County High School lawn... and Eiffel Tower that seems to be missing the upper 1/3 of the structure.

Artist's rendering of the PCHS Eiffel Tower.

It's not as if this tower was constructed and is now being taken down slowly, it looked this way leading up to, during and after the promenade. Now, I could be wrong. This may not be an Eiffel Tower at all. The structure also bares a striking resemblance to an old-timey blast furnace (if you look closely at the above photo you can probably see what I'm talking about). So maybe the prom theme for 2006 was... A NIGHT ON FURNACE MOUNTAIN!

I can see it now...

The concession stand has been decorated to look like the Bear's Den (complete with lesbians dancing on the bar). The dance floor is actually a large backyard wrestling ring, surrounded by trailers. A giant paper mache' Orbin Hatton hangs over your head as Ramona Gabbard spins AC/DC records for the crowd. Of course, had Jeff Stiles Jr. decided to go this year, he would have had the best seat in the house.

I'm sure it was magical. A night to remember... and to think, my prom theme was... ok, I have no idea what my prom theme was. But I'll remember THIS one forever.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The only thing that I'd like to say is that the theme music, played upon entry would have to be: NIGHT ON THUNDER MOUNTAIN, as performed by the Powell Co. High School Band under the direction of MIKE ESTEPP!

6:06 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

I like the polka dot walls. Remember when we went to prom together? I can't remember the theme of it. I do remember Daxon driving us around nodding his head. That was pretty cool.

10:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home