Friday, May 26, 2006

Note: This story is 100% true and kinda creepy; I'm going to hold a flashlight under my face and type with my free hand.

A few days ago I found myself lying on the couch, fighting sleep and watching the Daily Show. As I started to enter that area in-between consciousness and sleep I was caught off guard by a memory. I was probably fifteen or sixteen years old at the time and visiting family at the annual family reunion at Camp Lightfoot (click here to listen to the Camp Lightfoot pride song). After meeting and greeting people that I vaguely remembered or just absolutely didn't know I was introduced to a couple of cousins that were roughly my age, give or take a year.

With little hesitation we decided to set out on our own and leave the rest of the family to their rousing games of bingo and stories of who died in the last year (and who would probably die before the next one). We set off through the field, down a hill and to the stream that ran through the bottom of the camp. We then pulled out fishing poles and proceeded to fish on the bank for several hours, getting to know each other and if memory serves, catching one fish between the three of us.

The river is just behind this building... I think.

The next day I left the camp and haven't seen those guys since. In fact, I'd wager that it has been every bit of ten years since I even THOUGHT about that day or those guys. I couldn't tell you their names right now if my life was on the line. So why, I wondered, was I thinking about this now? I sat there attempting to decipher what could have brought up the memory, then John Stewart said something funny and the issue was dropped.

Fast-forward to last night around six-thirty. My Dad calls me up and we engage in the normal small talk before he informs me that he'd been to a funeral that day. I ask who, and if it was something I should have come into town for. He then informs me that it was "one of your cousins, you may not remember him, but you went fishing with him years ago at Camp Lightfoot." I am not exaggerating when I say that I could have dropped the phone at that point. He went on to explain that he had been killed in an automobile accident and then elaborated on some of the troubles that his brother was having. We talked for about an hour, then said our goodbyes.


Now, I'm not one to believe that I had some sort of psychic premonition. I don't think it's time for NBC to start building hour-long primetime dramas around me. However, even the most skeptical person has to admit that the sequence of events described above is pretty damn eerie.
Anyway, just thought I'd share that rather interesting part of my day with you guys. Hopefully it didn't bore you to death. However, if it did then look no further than a couple of entries down... it's a blue lobster! Come on, how cool is a blue lobster?!

4 Comments:

Blogger Brinton said...

Are't you religious? Why not believe in your own psychic powers?

6:12 AM  
Blogger I changed my name so it wouldn't be so nasty! said...

I'm not religious, and I believe in my own psychic powers.

6:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lord lucifer is at work here. it's only a coincidence.we should ignore these types of entries. i implore all to retract their comments.
beware ye followers of devils!
david

3:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your story reminds me of the time a few years ago when I dreamed an old friend I hadn't seen in years had come to visit. While he was visiting, we were laughing and joking and flying around in the air... (it WAS a dream!!) All was well and good until he flew through a wall, and I banged my head, trying to follow him. He laughed at me rubbing my head, and said "Silly! Only the dead can fly through walls!"

I have never forgotten that dream, mostly because I learned a few days later that he had died in an accident that night.

Spooky? Coincidence? Lord Lucifer at work? You decide.

9:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home