Thursday, June 01, 2006

To my right wing readers, prepare yourself... I am going to attack a Democrat.

Now, I've said for years that I'm an equal opportunity denouncer of the hypocrisy of our times, but no one seemed to believe me. I've bashed some of Clinton's policy decisions, called Joe Lieberman everything in the book and voted for Nader in 2000, but still no love from the right-wing. Well, maybe this will help (as I know you guys hate Charlie Rangel).

Recently (on Valentine's Day no less) Congressman Rangel introduced a bill, HR 4752 to be exact, into the United States House of Representatives. This bill would, if passed, reinstate a draft of involuntary military service (follow that link and type H.R. 4752 in the search box) in our country. Something that I find revolting.

Of course, Rangel has reasoning behind his decision to inflict this pain on the United States. His theory is that if a draft is reinstated, one that will force every person in this country to serve without regard of race, age, sex, sexuality or income, people will be far less likely to call for war. If your child WILL be going, no deferments, no excuses, then you'll be less interested in firing the first shot. However, despite Mr. Rangel's best attempts, people with power WILL find their way out of a draft. That's my complaint with the original draft and that's my complaint with any upcoming ones.

People with power have it for a reason. If you're naive enough to believe that Jenna Bush would have signed on with the U.S. Army on her 18th birthday then I have some very interesting pyramid schemes I'd like you to see.

1 Comments:

Blogger Brinton said...

That certainly does make for some interesting reading.

With a range form eighteen to forty-two, a parent and child could be inducted at the same time.

In Strship Troopers Robert Heinlein included the idea of a compensatory public or military service for anyone wanting to achieve citizenship, and that those who refused were not full citizens and had less rights. This just made me think of that. I certainly wouldn't want only veterans given the right to vote. I like veterans a lot, butthey generally have too much repsect for authority to be good voters.

9:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home