Thursday, September 07, 2006

I've been trying to get back to the blog world for some time now, but as the dust begins to settle on the last few days I've found myself at a loss as to what to post up here. I guess everyone goes through a dry spell from time to time and mine has left me without a great deal of things to ramble on about.

Sure, there's Joe Lieberman... jackass. There's George Bush admitting in a matter of a month that not only did Iraq NOT have anything to do with 9/11 but that we were also operating secret CIA prisons throughout the world... but since we all knew those things already it's hardly news. There's the upcoming network made-for-tv movie hitting this weekend that blames Bill Clinton for 9/11, and then I guess there's also 9/11 itself.

However, nothing has really been worth putting to paper (or screen) lately, so I guess I'll just ramble on for a few minutes more.

When you type "I have no idea what to write" into Google Image Search you get this delightful little image.

Last weekend was spent largely with friends, watching football and listening to music (I believe that line could also be attributed to nearly anyone's senior yearbook biography). As I'm sure you're aware, I was thrilled to see WVU slaughter the Marshall Thundering Herd and I actually thought that Kentucky had a better showing against Louisville than most folks expected. Greg Drake had the audacity to suggest that UK would top the Cards by a margin of six points... next time you see Greg be sure to point and laugh.

Is there a better name in all of college football (especially when associated with a specific team) than Colt McCoy?

The New York Mets will meet the Detroit Tigers in this year's World Series. As much as I hate to say it, I'm fairly sure that the Mets are going to be given the Roy Horn treatment.

I never realized it until it was too late, but I think I'm going to genuinely miss the Crocodile Hunter. Honestly though, I had more than ample time to prepare for that one.

I've eaten an inordinate amount of fast-food in the last couple of weeks. My verdict: Arby's fries may have surpassed McDonald's for best all-around fry flavor, but there's probably no better item on any menu than Burger King's French Toast Sticks.

Finally, I've been listening to the hell out of the Dropkick Murphys lately. I have, of course, been familiar with these guys for years, but it seems as if I somehow force myself to rediscover their catalogue every seven or eight months... this 2/3 of the year is no exception. Maybe it's something about late summer that puts me in the mood for them, or maybe it's just that they rock entirely too hard to be ignored. Either way I'll close with they lyrics to "Worker's Song," which may be the best song I've ever heard.

Yeh, this one's for the workers who toil night and day
By hand and by brain to earn your pay
Who for centuries long past for no more than your bread
Have bled for your countries and counted your dead

In the factories and mills, in the shipyards and mines
We've often been told to keep up with the times
For our skills are not needed, they've streamlined the job
And with sliderule and stopwatch our pride they have robbed

[Chorus:]
We're the first ones to starve, we're the first ones to die
The first ones in line for that pie-in-the-sky
And we're always the last when the cream is shared out
For the worker is working when the fat cat's about

And when the sky darkens and the prospect is war
Who's given a gun and then pushed to the fore
And expected to die for the land of our birth
Though we've never owned one lousy handful of earth?

[Chorus x3]

All of these things the worker has done
From tilling the fields to carrying the gun
We've been yoked to the plough since time first began
And always expected to carry the can

1 Comments:

Blogger I changed my name so it wouldn't be so nasty! said...

Jim Bob Cooter - backup QB, Tennessee

5:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home